Here are some of the things I look for as a proofreader:
- Typographical errors (including direction of curly quotation marks and apostrophes)
- Misspelled words (including incorrect word usage)
- Grammatical problems (including verb tenses and syntax)
- Punctuation mistakes (including proper abbreviations and capitalization)
- Inconsistent format (in font size/style for text/chapter headings/subheadings, lists, tables, page numbers, hyphenations, margins, spacing, indentations/paragraphs, quotes, references, citations, footnotes/endnotes, etc.)
Here are some of the things I look for as a copyeditor
(Note: light proofreading checks are included in copy editing):
- Making sure material is logical and understandable
- Correcting continuity problems
- Making sure sources are cited for all statistics and quotation
- Flagging inaccuracies
- Sentence clarity
- Word choice
- Maintenance of tone/voice
As a copyeditor, I ferret out and fix any mistakes that might distract the reader from your story without changing your voice and in the most constructive way possible. I work with you to present your best work to the reading public.
My rates are as follows and are based on the industry standard 250 words per page. (Note: All rates include a free double-check and final proof once the corrections have been made.)
- $0.006 per word for Fiction Proofreading and $0.007 per word for Nonfiction Proofreading
- $0.008 per word for Fiction Copyediting and $0.009 for Nonfiction Copyediting
- $0.009 for the Fiction Copyediting and Proofreading package
- $0.010 per word for the Nonfiction Copyediting and Proofreading package
Document, Report and Webpage Editing
- Proofreading $5.50 per page
- Full Edit $10/page
NEW CLIENTS: If you’d like to get a sense of my proofreading/editing style, I offer a free sample edit. Please email me the first chapter of your story. I will edit a few pages, thus enabling you to make an informed decision.
Your final price is calculated according to the total word count upon document submission.
If, after the work has started, I realize that a deeper style of editing is needed, I reserve the right to renegotiate the fee based on the additional work required to finish the project.
Turnaround times are dependant upon the complexity of the editing and/or proofreading involved.
IMPORTANT FAQs Please read