Here are some of the things I look for as a proofreader:
- Typographical errors (including direction of curly quotation marks and apostrophes)
- Misspelled words (including incorrect word usage)
- Grammatical problems (including verb tenses and syntax)
- Punctuation mistakes (including proper abbreviations and capitalization)
- Inconsistent format (in font size/style for text/chapter headings/subheadings, lists, tables, page numbers, hyphenations, margins, spacing, indentations/paragraphs, quotes, references, citations, footnotes/endnotes, etc.)
Here are some of the things I look for as a copyeditor
(Note: light proofreading checks are included in copy editing):
- Making sure material is logical and understandable
- Correcting continuity problems
- Making sure sources are cited for all statistics and quotation
- Flagging inaccuracies
- Sentence clarity
- Word choice
- Maintenance of tone/voice
As a copyeditor, I ferret out and fix any mistakes that might distract the reader from your story without changing your voice and in the most constructive way possible. I work with you to present your best work to the reading public.
My rates are as follows and are based on the industry standard 250 words per page. (Note: All rates include a free double-check and final proof once the corrections have been made.)
- $0.006 per word for Fiction Proofreading and $0.007 per word for Nonfiction Proofreading
- $0.008 per word for Fiction Copyediting and $0.009 for Nonfiction Copyediting
- $0.009 for the Fiction Copyediting and Proofreading package
- $0.010 per word for the Nonfiction Copyediting and Proofreading package
Document, Report and Webpage Editing
- Proofreading $3.50 per page
- Full Edit $5/page
- Minimum charge $25
Short Essays of 5-pages (250 words/page) or less
- A minimum charge of: Copy-editing $25, Proofreading $20.
NEW CLIENTS: If you’d like to get a sense of my proofreading/editing style, I offer a free sample edit. Please email me the first chapter of your story. I will edit a few pages, thus enabling you to make an informed decision.
Your final price is calculated according to the total word count upon document submission.
If, after the work has started, I realize that a deeper style of editing is needed, I reserve the right to renegotiate the fee based on the additional work required to finish the project.
- NOTE: There is a minimum charge of $50 for fiction editing or proofreading $60 for non-fiction editing or proofreading.
- There is a $50 Reservation Fee for all editing and proofreading reservations made more than four (4) weeks in advance. This will of course be deducted from the editing invoice.
Turnaround times are dependant upon the complexity of the editing and/or proofreading involved.
IMPORTANT FAQs Please read